Recurring headaches and chronic facial pain are common but in some may be the result of TMJ disorders as well. If you suffer from chronic neck or facial pain, consider visiting our office to find out if your issues are connected to Temporomandibular Disorder, or TMJ.
The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) connects your skull to your jawbone by acting as a hinge. You have one temporomandibular joint on each side of the jaw.
Pain in one or more of these joints is known as TMJ disorders. It can be very excruciating and may often spread to other parts of the body as well including the head and neck.
The pain may be due to several reasons including jaw injury, genetics, and arthritis.
Some of the main symptoms may include:
- Strong pain in and around the jaw.
- Ringing, stuffiness or pain in and around the ears.
- Recurring headaches and neck pain.
- Loud popping or clicking sound when you move the jaw.
- Swelling around the cheek and other parts of the face.
- Changes in the facial structure.
- Muscle spasms and pain in and around the jaw.
If you have one or more of these symptoms then waste no time and get in touch with us. We’ll examine your condition and provide you with an effective solution to the problem.
You will need professional help to treat the condition if it’s very severe. However, mild cases of TMJ disorders are usually temporary and can be treated at home by:
- Relaxing your face and not opening your jaw a lot.
- Avoiding teeth grinding.
- Avoiding putting pressure on the teeth.
- Not putting any pressure on the neck or face.
- Keeping the posture straight.
We may suggest you a night guard (a mouth device that’s to be worn at night) or other dental treatments, such as crowns and bridges, to help treat TMJ disorders. The right treatment largely depends on the cause of the disorder.
The condition may lead to teeth grinding and jaw clenching, which can cause arthritis and some serious dental issues. Plus, the condition can be extremely painful and may also disrupt your routine. It’s important that you visit us and let us help you find the right solution.
Call us to speak to schedule an appointment with Dr. Bobby Jivnani in Richardson.